BabyBjorn Original Black Mesh Baby Carrier
• Pre order now for dispatch on June 7 2016
- Easy to use - Fits parents perfectly and securely with only a few adjustments.
- Provides closeness and contact - Physical closeness and eye contact create an important emotional bond between you and your baby.
- Perfect for your newborn baby - Specially developed to give the proper support for the baby's head, neck, spine and hips.
- From birth
- Min. 3.5 kg/53 cm
- Max. 11 kg
- Fabric: 100% cotton
- Padding: 100% polyester
- Machine wash in warm water (40 °C). Wash separately with a gentle, bleach-free detergent.
- When the child is older and has a stronger neck, the head support can be folded down, allowing the child to be carried facing forwards and to have a look around.
The concept that newborn babies need physical contact and enjoy being carried by their parents is a given for most people today. But psychological research only began talking about closeness in the 1950s. It took until 1970 for medical experts to establish how important eye contact and physical closeness between baby and parent is - especially during a baby's first six months.
In the 1960s, Björn Jakobson had founded the BabyBjörn AB company and developed the baby bouncer. He was inspired by this new research on the importance of closeness, and his response was to begin developing a baby carrier in collaboration with paediatricians. A baby carrier would maximize closeness - promoting the bond between parents and their newborn baby - while functioning as a practical everyday aid. The birth of Bjorn's and Lillemor's fourth child gave them plenty of opportunities to test the baby carrier in the peace and quiet of their own home and add the all-important finishing touches.
As the 1990s approached, BabyBjorn developed a new baby carrier design that would be even more simple and comfortable to wear. The launch of the new Baby Carrier Original in 1991 signaled an important step in baby carrier development. Because all the buckles were now on the front of the baby carrier, it was easy to put on and take off without help. The new two-part design was completely unique and made it possible to transfer a sleeping child to the crib without waking them. Baby Carrier Original was intended for use just by newborns, but a smart adjustment buckle allowed the baby carrier to grow with the baby and this extended the amount of time it could be used. Another important innovation was the option of carrying the slightly older baby facing forward.